Saturday, September 2, 2023

Fostering Saves More than One Life

Amarula (Liqueurs)

I’ve found renewed purpose in life by volunteering my time with my local animal rescue, and it is something that I’ve really invested myself into in a way that I don’t think I’ve done in anything in years and years. As I wrote in my open letter last month, volunteering helped me tremendously to work my way out of a very difficult period in my life to something more manageable, a place where I could feel and find joy again. I could not have anticipated the profound impact it has had in brightening my life and giving me something to be passionate about again.

Whether working with a local animal rescue appeals to you or not, I definitely wanted to write about my experiences volunteering and encourage readers to consider ways to volunteer within their communities for nonprofits and organizations that to do resonate them. There are often numerous ways to volunteer for an organization that make opportunities accessible for many–in rescue, it could be helping coordinate events, transporting animals, making decor for an event at home, or helping with laundry, in addition to more typical ways to volunteer.

I have been fostering and volunteering on-site primarily for Almost There Rescue (ATR), which is a non-profit mom and pups rescue in Phoenix, Arizona, since July 2022. They focus on taking in orphaned puppies, pregnant and nursing moms with puppies, and are truly dedicated to their mamas and ensuring they find their forever homes. I had someone mention them to me once, and they popped up again when I looked through the Best Friends Animal Society network partners.  This is a great starting point for readers who might be interested in finding a local organization to volunteer for as they have programs across the US but an extensive number of network partners.

I know of Best Friends as a result of the long-time collaboration between ColourPop and Best Friends Animal Society, where they’ve released a product annually that donates all net profits to Best Friends, which is what the Liqueur pups have posed with (hello, beauty tie-in! this post is now beauty-related!). The Best Friends organization works with communities to provide support and/or resources with a goal of making every shelter and community no-kill by 2025. One critical component of achieving this goal is by increasing the number of fosters available in communities, especially now when so many shelters and county facilities are overflowing with pets.

When you foster, you free up a kennel space for a dog or cat, and then you can be part of that animal’s journey to adoption, which might include teaching them to trust a human or simply giving them a softer place to decompress for a bit. Many rescues provide all of the resources you need to foster (from crates to food to medical care), while you provide them a temporary home and lots of love!

Bamba

My first fostering experience was a two-week stint with Bamba and Ozzie (same litter but wildly different outcomes!), and it was… a lot. It didn’t help that I ended up breaking my hand early on in that two-week period, so poor hubby had to step up and help a lot more than he anticipated. The silver lining was that while my hand was healing, I ended up doing orientation to volunteer on-site, which is kind of a big thing for me because I am a homebody by choice. I’m so thankful that the folks at ATR have been so welcoming, helpful, and passionate about what they were doing, because they created an environment that always made me comfortable about being there, asking questions, and coming back.

Ozzie

I enjoyed it so much that I volunteered almost every morning! Visiting with puppies early in the morning just smoothed out every harsh edge I had. They’re so young and exuberant, and they’re endlessly optimistic and happy-go-lucky. There were moments where I would sit on the floor with a lap full of puppies and just feel all the stress leave my body. They made it easy to keep my attention and focus on them, which ensured I was actively in the moment rather than worrying about something ahead or what things I needed to do that day.

maleficent-and-prince-philip
Maleficent + Prince Philip

In late October 2022, I managed to persuade my husband to try fostering again, and this time we took on Maleficent and Prince Philip for three weeks. It went a lot better–they were younger than our first two fosters–but we were definitely exhausted by the end of the three weeks and ready to return them 😂 I continued to volunteer on-site but when ATR put out an emergency call for bottle baby fosters right before New Year’s Eve, I signed up and took on my first bottle baby fosters, which were one-day old cleft palate puppies. Unfortunately, Lorax and Max did not make it despite all the love and care they could ask for; there were five cleft palate puppies in that litter and only one survived (and was adopted by her foster).

This is really what turned the corner on fostering for me, because I realized that working with newborn puppies called to me in a way that the “older” puppies did not. Even though my first bottle babies did not make it, I knew it was something I wanted to do again. It led to me fostering a pregnant mama, Brisket, and her eventual nine puppies, aka the Steaklets. I witnessed the birth of every single pup! I assisted! I ensured each one took their first breath, was cleaned up, and was warm. I got so lucky with Mama Brisket, because she was pulled from the county shelter and we didn’t really know anything about her behavior–she was incredibly friendly, sweet, and even potty-trained.

Steaklets

It was also during the fostering of the Steaklets that we ended up using a spare room as the “mutternity suite.” This made fostering so, so much easier for hubby and I, since we work from home. It allowed us to walk around the main areas without disturbing the puppies and also minimized any noise when one of us was trying to work. I spent hours watching the Steaklets, and I loved getting to be there for their milestones: eyes opening, hearing for the first time, wobbly first steps, and all the delightful newborn puppy sounds and smells. I learned so much about dog pregnancy, newborns, and puppy raising!

The Steaklets (and Mama Brisket) stayed with me until the pups were six weeks old, and then they all went to their next fosters as ATR adopts out their puppies at 10-weeks (and after they’ve been spayed/neutered). Shortly after the Steaklets, I fostered four of the Yoga Poses pups, which were five-day old bottle babies. They’re still some of the most special pups I’ve fostered–the hardest to let go for sure–and I had to let them go at eight-weeks old for fear we might fail!

Yoga Poses

In fact, I was so worried we’d fail, I ended up getting three new foster pups the day after the Yogis went to their new fosters to fill the void! They were the Fabulous Ones, named after Queer icons, who were with us for a few weeks before being adoptable. I wish I could say that I gave my poor hubby the break he very much wanted, but next thing you know, I brought home eight, six- or seven- week old cattle dog puppies, which some might know as the Bluey pups. They were absolutely chaotic!! Thankfully, I only committed to a week to help another rescue have more time to figure out long-term fosters for them. I don’t think I would have made it another week!

Freddie (Fabulous Ones)

That leads me to my current fosters, which are the Liqueur pups (photographed in the slideshow at the beginning of the post)! (How cute are they with their Best Friends and ColourPop gear? They’re gonna be famous models now!) Despite my husband saying “never again” to a mama and her pups, we brought home Bailey and her 11 (!!) pups when they were five days old. I kept all 11 pups for six weeks, and then I’ve gradually downsized my group to five as of this past week, and hopefully, they’ll be sweet babies so I can enjoy them until their adoption date, September 16th. It is so rewarding to watch them blossom, gain confidence, and know that they’re going to find their forever homes in just a couple of weeks.

It is always sad to see them go, but it is a happier moment to know that they’ve been given a good head start to their lives and ready to become amazing dogs to their lucky families. People always ask how I don’t keep them all, but the reality is that I can’t keep them all, even if I wanted to 😂 Ultimately, I focus on being able to do more good for more dogs by being a regular foster, and that is infinitely easier when I don’t have lots of my own pets at home. Besides, Winnie has enough energy for five dogs!

007
Sambuca (Liqueurs)

I’ve fostered 40 puppies/dogs in 2023 alone, and there’s still time to foster a few more before the year is up! I hope what I’ve shared might encourage even one person to sign up for volunteer orientation or fill out a fostering application. For me, it has been incredibly rewarding and fulfilling, but I’ve also learned a lot about a topic/area I didn’t know as much about, meet and make friends (as an adult who works from home, this is a huge win), and grow so much as an individual.

Amarula (Liqueurs)

Amarula (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Sambuca (Liqueurs)

Sambuca (Liqueurs)

Amarula (Liqueurs)

Amarula (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Campari (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Fireball (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Pimms (Liqueurs)

Sambuca (Liqueurs)

Sambuca (Liqueurs)



source https://www.temptalia.com/fostering-saves-more-than-one-life/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Survey Says... January 31st, 2024

Happy Wednesday! Here's this week's survey, which you can copy and paste and share as a comment. Your skin tone/coloring: Most ...